Anonyme
Anonyme question posée dans Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · Il y a 1 décennie

My pc is really slow ??

my pc is slow when you click into a user and it takes ages to load. It is a windows xp 30gb memory 256 ram i have check the memory and i have 20gb left I have got no games on it and have done a regular virus check each week with nothing found. I have used a registry programe to clean it up and the the disk cleanup tool how do i make it faster?

21 réponses

Pertinence
  • Il y a 1 décennie
    Réponse préférée

well short of adding ram to your computer, you can try programs like adaware and spybot search and destroy to remove a lot files that slow down your computer. registry cleaner and disk clean up miss a lot of files that these programs don't, plus they're free. you can download them at www.download.com.

• Commenter avatarOuvrez une session pour répondre aux questions
  • Anonyme
    Il y a 1 décennie

If your virus/spyware free, there are a couple things you can do get your computer working faster. If you using your computer for normal stuff and not gaming. You don't always need more RAM you just need to perform a few maintenance task.

First, if you haven't cleaned your registry in a while. This is necessary. Your registry holds all the information regarding updates, installs, un-installs etc. Each one of those events produces a key. That key needs your PC's resources and free space. So, if you clean your registry, you make more resources available for speed. Do a registry scan if you got more than 20 errors you should clean it.

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/what-is-the...

2. Clear your Windows cache files, this is your temporary file. It can grow up to a large volume and stop your computer from using RAM properly. In a sense slow it down by preventing it from using free space.Here is how:

1. Quit Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other web browser

2. Click Start, click "Control Panel", and then double-click "Internet Options".

3. On the General tab, click "Delete Files" under Temporary Internet Files.

4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the "Delete all offline content" check box , and then click OK.

5. Click OK.

3. Manage your startups. Your excess CPU usage is due to too many programs running in the background. You can cut these to barebones by alter your msconfig. Here is how:

1. Open your Start menu.

2. Click Run

3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"

4. In the "system configuration utility",click either "service" or "startup" tab

5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.

6. Click "OK"

Other great tip is increasing your virtual memory to simulate more RAM. This will give you a bit more resources for multiple program use or CPU heavy programs.

Hope this link helps. Shows you how to do everything step by step. You should get a least 60-120% more resources and speed

if you follow the tips.

• Il y a 1 décennie

maybe you have programs loading at startup.. go to start>run> type msconfig and enter > click startup tab and uncheck all the programs except your antivirus. Also delete all shortcuts from your startup folder in your All Programs Menu.

This will stop all those programs from loading at startup that you don't need.

Else you can right click on my computer > properties> advanced tab> settings under performance> adjust for best performance.

hope it helps

I am also running windows XP with 256mb. I can surf with no problem but it gets slow when I load several programs or too many windows.. Also make sure you have AVG free antivirus not Norton because Norton takes alot of memory and it's slow.. Do all those things you'll be fine..

• Il y a 1 décennie

Your main problem appears to be insufficient Ram!

You have the bare minimum, to enable Windows XP to work properly, and with only 256mb it is struggling!

If your mother board will take SATA Hard Drives, upgrade to a Western Digital Raptor Hard drive, which is the fastest Hard Drive available, with super fast data transfer capabilities!

Next look at the spec of your motherboard again and see how many memory slots you have, assuming you have DDR memory, fit at least 1Gig of Ram, if you can fit more all the better!

You will have to get your operating system reloaded, and your programs, and files, pictures may have to be transferred to the new Hard Drive, if you are unable to carry this out yourself take your PC to a Custom Builder, who will be able to supply the Ram, and Hard Drive, and will be happy to quote for your upgrade!

• Que pensez-vous des réponses? Vous pouvez ouvrir une session pour attribuer un vote à la réponse.
  • Adam
    Lv 5
    Il y a 1 décennie

Your computer only has a 30GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. Most computers these days come with 250GB of hard drive and 2GB+ of RAM. Face it, your computer is outdated. It may have ran fine when you purchased it 4 years ago, but time has it's toll. 256MB is bare requirements to boot these days, let alone perform well. It's time for a new PC.

• Anonyme
    Il y a 1 décennie

You can also give PC Booster 2008 a try. It has the latest registry cleaner technology to clean up all your registry problems in 2 minutes.

http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/pcbooster

or you can download PC Booster 2008 for free here

http://www.trialpay.com/stores/inklineglobal/pcboo...

• Anonyme
    Il y a 6 années

Hey,

Cleaning the register is a good way of improving the performances of your pc and eliminate malwares and trojans. A program I trust is CCleaner http://bitly.com/UrARzw

Check it out.

• Il y a 1 décennie

try removing some programs on start-up by typing msconfig on run command. if it does'nt speed up it must be a virus. try scanning on safe-mode and make sure that hidden files and protected files are shown. if that still does'nt work you have no other option but to reformat your hardrive. and upgrading to a 512mb memory would help too.

• Il y a 1 décennie

Obviously u need a windows vista basic or better. 256 ram is nothing it's a piece of crap.Just buy a new computer or upgrade it.....

• Il y a 1 décennie

Spybot, memory upgrade (suggest 1 gig), over clock it, uninstall unneeded programs, stay away from limewire, never use beta program downloads, get Mozilla Firefox.

Vous avez encore des questions? Obtenez des réponses en posant vos questions maintenant.