Groove doctor question posée dans Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · Il y a 1 mois

Philosophically, is ‘responsibility’ ever NOT a relationship i.e. is it ever ENTIRELY on the individual or the community/state? Why/why not?

6 réponses

Pertinence
  • RP
    Lv 7
    Il y a 3 semaines

Nothing is ever entirely the province of an individual because we are social animals. As Donne wrote, no person (man) is an island. Like it or not, we are inextricably linked to others.

• P
    Lv 7
    Il y a 1 mois

It's entirely on whoever took it on, although as a member of both community and state it reflects on you

If you take responsibility for the outcome of you own action then it's entirely up to you to see it through

Where the community or state takes responsibility caution should be exercised. They need both the authority, capability, and honesty to fulfil the commitment 

• Dejair
    Lv 6
    Il y a 1 mois

The governments may indicate to the citizens some standard or example without to commit profanations. If they wish the progress in being ...

• Il y a 1 mois

Personally, and philosophically, I feel that one's only responsibilities are those that the individual voluntarily agreed to, and those that result as a consequence of one's actions. So if someone enters into an agreement, they are responsible for holding up their end of the bargain, if someone knowingly and wrongly, or negligently, causes harm, they should be responsible for making reparations, and if someone participates in the bringing of a child into the world, they should they should be responsible for its care. 

I'm not sure if that answers your question. I think one's responsibilities are entirely one's own,  not someone else's. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about whether or not responsibility is a relationship. I guess you might mean something like: taking care of the environment. Each person plays a part, and for good or ill, affects our planet, but how can one person be responsible for the actions of another? One person can participate in the production of fossil fuels, and another can burn the fuel, but either one can choose to do otherwise. 

• Que pensez-vous des réponses? Vous pouvez ouvrir une session pour attribuer un vote à la réponse.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    Il y a 1 mois

Defining "responsibility" as arising of Latin "spondere," to pledge, shows that a pledge of one (individual, group entity, etc.) to one (individual, group entity, etc.) is the arena of responsibility.

"Philosophically," a pledge extends an intention over time.  A responsibility may be to oneself, to another, one group to another group, etc.  Whomever is capable of pledging a futurity security is response-able.  So, always a relationship, even if of self for self.  Sartre's being-for-itself (etre-en-soi) and being-for-others (l'etre-pour-autrui) are each subsumed under "responsibility."

• You can have a responsibility to yourself to regularly exercise as it keeps you fit and athletic. Big and strong. Somewhere of maximum utility.  That is an example. 

You can have a responsibility to yourself to regularly educate yourself in one way or another so that you do not spend your life unwisely. That is another. 

You have a responsibility to yourself to be the best you can be. Should an opportunity present itself you will have the maximum chance of utilising it.

Vous avez encore des questions? Obtenez des réponses en posant vos questions maintenant.